Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Perfect Desert Dessert

Well, it's 104 outside.  I was out once a little while ago to make sure the birds and 'critters' still had water.  Last night they drank most of their water.  I think in some ways birds and animals are smarter than people.  They knew this heat was coming, even without the benefit of intenet access.  Maybe they saw the sunset last night--it was the pinkest of pink.  Bright neon pink.  Weird.

My two older girls are at a friends house, having gone bowling last night and swimming today.  This gives me a chance to get some work done upstairs, because the twins generally get along without supervision.  The other two girls, well....don't.  There's hope--my sister and I fought constantly when we were growing up, and we're great now.  I've already apologized to my mother.  Several times. lol

So I've been cleaning and packing.  I've been deciding what wouldn't be important to keep, and what would, and what would be critical. Not to worry, I've also made use of some garbage bags--a vital cleaning tool.  Half the challenge seems to be constantly moving the cats out of the way.

I'm thinking that some day we might have to move.  I hope not.  Maybe this will be a blessing in the end--it's motivating me to organize the accumulated years of illness and infants and toddlers.

My parents are giving us money again this week, to pay our mortgage and health insurance and van payment.  And I guess the health insurance will be a necessity soon--Obamacare passed and we wouldn't want the government to fine us for being too poor to afford medical care.  I've read that there's supposed to be a waiver for people who are too poor to get insurance, which I'm just assuming I wouldn't qualify for--because since when have I ever qualified for anything?  But if we did get a waiver, I'm wondering--how would this have helped us?  We'd still be without insurance.

Anyway, my parents are soon going to have exhausted a fund they'd set aside for helping us from time to time.  They're talking about dipping into the money they've saved for our kids' college next.  It's not much, but I'll hate to see it go.  However, the kids need a roof over their heads.

I'm trying to be cheerful.  There isn't any point in letting this get to me if I can help it.

Before my sister reads this and worries, I'll mention my piano playing, since she's been smart enough to notice that if I stop going on about that for long, it means I'm depressed.  I've been torturously working my way through some of Bach's preludes and fugues.  Not sure how beneficial this is for my mental health. lol  Bach just doesn't seem to fit in with the way my brain works, but I enjoy some of his works.  When I play Chopin, everything just makes perfect sense.  Bach, not so much.

Sometimes these days when I catch myself humming to myself while I work, and when I try to figure out which Chopin piece it was I was humming, it turns out to be one of my compositions instead.  It's been happening a lot lately.  My brain thinks my compositions are Chopin's.  It's apparently filed my pieces away in the same folder as his.  If I'm humming somebody else, I know right away it's somebody else.

I'm overseeing chores now--each kid gets two half-hours a day if they don't get lucky and escape to a friend's house or something.  I find myself taking breaks from time to time, but it's pretty comfortable in the house. I've closed the curtain where the sun comes in.  And our enclosed front porch with its wall of windows is covered with honeysuckle--it makes wonderful shade.  From the inside, our porch is lit with green.  We have lots of trees shading us, too.  I started the window AC early this morning, and resolved not to open any door I don't have to.  I told the girls--no baking today.  But we have dessert tonight, because in spite of my decision to buy only important things at the grocery store the other day, I'd decided that ice cream was going to be a necessity if it was going to be 100 degrees.

I read today that we are actually living in a desert climate right now, with the high temps and low humidity.  One great thing about Indiana is the multitude of climates you get to experience.

Well, I've cooled off now--think I'll go play a little piano and then go back upstairs for more cleaning.  Whoa, our lights are blinking.  Just now.  Several times.  We just unplugged the laptops.  All we need is for the lights (and precious AC) to go out.  At least our old brick house retains the cool well.

Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment