Monday, June 11, 2012

Snacks and Little Plates

Nothing much happening.  It is hot and stuffy.  It's almost bedtime and I've given in to the urge to just sit in the family room under the ceiling fan.  Two of us here have checked to see if the air conditioner broke.  It's still working.

One daughter has a 'snuggi'.  If you've never heard of a 'snuggi', it's like a backwards bathrobe.  Why anybody would want a backwards bathrobe is beyond me.  It doesn't even come with a belt.  And she's wearing it today.  Far be it from me to tell a 15yo how to dress--what am I going to say, that she's covering too much skin?  It's not her fault she was born chilly.  But I can't even look at her.

Today was our chance to get some rain according to the weather people, but we hardly got any.  And no rain is forecast for the foreseeable future.  Everyday we put out water for the animals and birds and water some of the littler and vulnerable plants.  There are soybeans all arounds us that I'm starting to think haven't got a chance in hell.  I'm not swearing--I think it's getting that hot.



Today I took the girls to the post office to drop off our monthly little box of presents to my 3yo niece.  We went to my mother's house, and she sent us out (with some cash) to get sandwiches & cookies for all of us.  I had a salad on a sandwich--crab & other seafood with a bunch of veggies, no cheese or sauce, on wheat.  Pretty good.  My parents are so nice.  I don't think they ever read this blog, so I'm not even saying that so they'll buy more sandwiches.

We went to the library and grocery shopping and then home.  The summer reading program at the library has started, so we signed up for that.

And I've started having the girls bring armloads of clothes downstairs for me to go through--my goal is to go through all our clothes this week.  Part of my goal to do some serious decluttering this summer.



I'm down ten pounds now.  There should be a party.  With cake and ice cream and mixed nuts and little mints and soda pop....

Jonathan Roche (associated with Flylady) sent out a great email the other day about dieting being like packing up and moving, as opposed to going on a vacation.  I am hoping to live here permanently.

I think the greatest help has been snacks.  One of those paradoxes of life.  I've started getting fruit and granola bars and low-fat cheese & crackers--stuff that's low-fat and portion-controlled--for snacks.  It just doesn't work for me at three in the afternoon when I'm so hungry I'm shaking and then I just have to tough it out a few hours until dinner, and not lose control then.  I've learned not to ignore it if I'm ravenously starving.

I've been exercising most every day, on my little fold-up floor exercise bike, when I talk to my mother on the phone.  It helps to tie the exercise to something you know you're going to do.  I'll probably add some other exercise or change it from time to time.

I measured myself when I started.  Sometimes a person stops losing weight and starts losing inches because they're gaining muscle. I used to get (understandably) discouraged when I'd exercise and then gain weight.

I just don't hardly ever have seconds on anything any more.

I take the smallest piece of cake.  I still often have cookies and candy when everybody else does, I just keep the portion size down.

And I've been using the little saucer-shaped plates whenever it makes sense to do so for lunch.  A not-huge full-size plate for dinner--we have lots of assorted plates, and some of them are big.

I've given up regular soda unless some restaurant has Barq's root beer. :)

Here's a website that has helped:  http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/06/self-discipline/ .  It spurred me to sit down and list ways I could change my habits, like the ones I've just listed.  Mr. Pavlina talked about setting up your environment to help you succeed. 

And Jonathan is at http://www.flylady.net/d/br/author/jonathan-roche/ , if anybody is interested.



And now it's just about bedtime.  Night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment