Sunday, August 5, 2012

Money & Power & Religion

I just saw the news.  Seven people shot and killed in a Sikh Temple in Wisconsin.  The theory is that it was an act of 'domestic terrorism' in which a man killed his fellow human beings because the men were wearing turbans and he mistook them for muslims.  This has happened before.

It seems to me that it doesn't really matter all that much which religion you practice--what really matters is how you practice it.  This statement would make some people I know very upset with me.  But in my somewhat ordinary life, I've seen people motivated by religion to give money to the poor, feed the hungry, take care of the sick, care for children and old people, and offer encouragement, many times, in different places.  I've also seen people go on power trips for the sole purpose of controlling their fellow practitioners, insist that the only way into heaven is their way, beat their wives and children, blame the poor, sick, and hungry for their lot, and argue endlessly over who's right about the most insignificant matters, all in the name of religion.  Then again, I've seen people who don't formally practice any particular faith behave in many of the same ways.

I guess I'm just lucky to live in a neighborhood where people don't routinely shoot and kill each other in the name of God.  Although apparently no place is completely safe.

Religion is a very powerful thing.  It can be used for a great deal of good, or for a great deal of evil. Like any other tool, it's how you use it that really matters.



I've been somewhat disappointed recently--in my recent study of Kabbalah, I feel I've learned a great many things, looked at the universe from a different perspective, and been inspired.  So after some research, I approached one of the main organizations teaching about Kabbalah in an effort to learn more.  I'm trying not to jump to conclusions, but it seems that as soon as the discovery was made that I have no money to offer, I was dumped.  It's not the first time.  A couple of churches have treated me the same way over the years.

Money is another very powerful thing.  I can see why people would do just about anything to get it.  I'm starting to feel desperate myself.  What would I do to be able to keep my house and my trees and my pets and my stuff instead of moving back in with my parents, I find myself wondering.  Over the years I've refused to lie, cheat, or steal for money.  The times I refused to sleep with bosses probably cost me a couple of jobs.  Being honest doesn't seem to have ever gotten me anywhere.  Being disabled means I get accused of lying all the time anyway.

I wouldn't want to seriously hurt anybody to keep my home.  At least I have somewhere else to go if I have to.  I wonder what I would be willing to do if my children were going to be homeless, or hungry.



I can see the temptation--even for someone whose life is going reasonably well financially--to use spirituality for financial gain.  Who doesn't want to be rich?  Not to mention well-respected.  A 'pillar of the community'.  Powerful, even.  And it's all perfectly legal.

Perhaps religion and money should be separated completely.  A church (and don't ask me how we'd finance the building) where money is not allowed, except to be given in its entirety to charity.  A place where one could go to seek enlightenment and inspiration and self-improvement and learning, and community, and opportunities to serve humanity.

Although I doubt it would stop the bickering.

No comments:

Post a Comment