Friday, August 31, 2012

No-Good Under-Insured Freeloaders

It's a little late for me to be blogging.  One of the 11yo twins is on her way to the emergency room with an ear infection.  This is the first time she's been to a doctor sick since 9/10/01 when she was six months old and had to have a hernia repair.  I remember the date because it was the day before 9/11.

She's had terrible hay fever this week.  So have I.

I worry about my 'little girl'.  And I worry about her being taken seriously at the ER.  I didn't want to ignore this and have her suffer some kind of damage.  But our family has had a bad track record with this sort of thing--I'm afraid the doctor won't take it seriously and then we'll end up taking her in again the next day.  I've given kids tylenol for an ear infection before, but my motherly spider-sense tells me this is a bad one.

And then....

Our medicaid is due to have been cancelled by now.

We haven't been notified yet.  But we certainly don't have the money to pay for this.  Thank heavens hospitals in this country have to treat you whether you can pay or not.  Yep, we could once again be some of those 'freeloaders' I've read about in the news.  My husband could be in the ER right now finding out that the medicaid card is worthless.  We do have tricare, but there would be plenty left over after they pay their share.

And I'll just try not to worry about me being held responsible for my child's illness.  The general consensus among half the population seems to be that I should never let any of my children become sick.  Fortunately, my girls have been mostly extremely healthy.  One was sick off and on for a few years, but she seems to have mostly grown out of it.  We've had, I think, three or four stitches a total of three times.  So we've been lucky.  I could even take some of the credit for trying to provide a decently clean environment with regular baths and three meals a day and vitamins. 

This has been the worst day for hay fever this year.  I'm tired, but I probably won't go to bed until my 'baby' is back. 

My husband wants to invite somebody (he doesn't seem to care who lol) over this weekend for barbecue, and I've had to insist that I'll be staying inside if that happens.  I was out for only a couple of minutes this morning, and I was sick for three hours afterwards.  I'm not thrilled at the prospect of visitors when our yard hasn't been mowed for maybe three weeks, either.  It's been growing like it's springtime, and I haven't run the weed whacker or pulled a weed.  I send the kids out to get the mail.  I stay inside.

I love to be outdoors.  It's no wonder I like autumn--I get to go back out.

And I need to realize that there are two kinds of people in this world--people who would judge me for the longish grass with a few dandelion puffs sticking up, and people who wouldn't mind me putting my health somewhere near the top of my priority list.  These days I am feeling a strong urge to avoid people in that first group.  I've met too many of them already.

Not to be melodramatic, but, yes, I could easily end up in the hospital if I tried to mow right now, and how stupid would that be?  More freeloading.  Not to mention how much it simply sucks to be sick.  Antihistamines don't touch this.



Well, we've had school every day this week.  I've cleaned, I've exercised, I've played the piano, and one of these days I'll break a million on Bubble Blitz.

The second movement of my sonata is coming along.  I'd thought I was almost finished, and then the next thing I knew I was dismantling it and trying to shuffle the pieces around until they fit.  I did everything except cut pieces out of the sheet music and lay them all over the table.  The thought did cross my mind.  But I think I've just about got it now.  And I'm liking the beginning of the third movement.

I'm tired.  I hope I'm at least making as much sense as I usually do.  Think I'll go play more Bubble Blitz.  See ya!

Oh, wait, here's my newest Desktop Pic Award--the picture is on my laptop right now.  This one is also from Aurora Borealis--one of my recent favorite places to get pics, especially since Bing has apparently fixed is so that I can't 'get' their daily pictures any more.  Boo!  Hiss!  :(  Anyway, here it is.  Good Night Moon.








No comments:

Post a Comment