Friday, April 27, 2012

. . . . Ellipsis . . . .

I'd thought about not writing today, but then I looked at the stats on this blog and decided I didn't want to let my loyal readers down. I love you guys. All four or five of you. Don't worry, I don't know who you are. But I feel sorry for you because you really should get out more.



The kinds of things you learn when you're homeschooling.  My 15yo daughter comes up to me with an open textbook and asks for help with ellipsises (ellipsi?).  I have to ask which subject she's on.  Turns out it's english.  Ellipses (I looked it up) are those series of periods you use when you're leaving something out while quoting someone, or when a speaker pauses.

I'm always learning something.

I don't know how I'd teach algebra if I hadn't had lots of math in college.  My daughter would need help from someone else when she had questions.  Sometimes I get to model how you look things up when you don't know--a valuable life skill in the twenty-first century.  I seriously love search engines.



Yesterday I had a momentary lapse--I couldn't figure out where to put my fingers on the piano keyboard.  Happens once in a while.  When I lamented that I'd forgotten how to play, one of the twins started cheering.

Nobody around here wants to hear me drone on about music, but you four are apparently desperate for amusement.  So you should know that I'm going to be finished writing the second mazurka soon.  One day I'll have to inflict it on all of you.

Yesterday I played all four of Schubert's op. 142 impromptus.  I've been working on the last one for about half a year now.  When I started working on no. 4, I had trouble playing the first three, but it's a lot easier now.  It's great to see the progress.

Some people think these four impromptus were originally meant to be combined into a sonata, and having played them, I can see why--they do remind me strongly of his sonatas.

And now I'll stop droning....I don't want to push my luck too far.

Later!

2 comments:

  1. Ellipsis... ahhh... they just happen to be my favorite type of punctuation marks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I have a favorite number, but not a favorite punctuation mark. I like numbers with lots of small factors. Like 48 -- 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 3. Really.

    ReplyDelete