Monday, September 10, 2012

It's a Double Ear Infection!

Guess what!  I've been too sick to feel like posting since Friday.  I went to bed feeling fine Saturday night, other than the same hay fever that's been bothering me for a month, and then in the middle of the night I was sick.  I woke up with a raging sinus infection on the left side.  Then my ear started popping on that same side.  By evening I had to run to the bathroom every fifteen minutes--probably a urinary tract infection.

So Monday morning I bit down on that bullet and did something I really did not want to do.  I called the doctor.

I've been having a hard time with this.  I've been told I'm a hypochondriac so many times that my blood pressure goes way up every time I set foot in a doctor's office. (Except this time--I think I was just too sick to give a damn where I was.)  I had nightmares last night.

But I was really lucky.  The doctor's staff actually let me come in today even though I didn't have an appointment.  I was sure to stress that I have a genetic immune deficiency and that infections tend to get out of control quickly.  I was on hold for a long time--I wonder if the doctor was consulted with.

I'm happy I was able to find the doctor's office, with my handy map on the seat next to me.  I'm not sure I was really well enough to drive.

Anyway I saw the doctor, but, surprise, it wasn't my regular doctor.  I was worried.  Especially when we started out the conversation with her stating twice that I had 'cold symptoms'.  It's not easy explaining to people--I am a serious connoisseur of infections, and I pretty much know when I have one.  The blinding pain on one side of my face was a good clue.  But she was really nice.  I think I made a good first impression.

It helped that I had ear infections in both ears.  So my claim to an out-of-control sinus infection was probably believable.  This is good--the first time we met, I claimed to be sick, and then I really was.

Only a really sick person, or a close friend or relative who's been dealing with a sick person, would understand my triumphant joy at hearing that I have a double ear infection.

So I have antibiotics, an antihistamine/decongestant combo, and a nasal spray.  Maybe I won't be sick for a month.  That would be lovely.

The bad news was that my blood test turned up negative.  We'll probably have to do it again--my body being a mass of infection may have thrown off my antibody count--especially since I'm actually running a fever, which means my body is trying to make an attempt at thinking about mounting some kind of an immune response to this.

The test also showed that I don't have hay fever--not sure how much confidence I have in those tests.

And then I found my way back home.

We're watching 'I, Robot'--fantastic movie.  I've seen it before.  Will Smith runs through the house as it's being demolished by a robot, pulls out his gun and shoots out the door, scoops up the cat, and escapes in the nick of time.  My hero!


No comments:

Post a Comment