Monday, July 23, 2012

Anybody know where I can get cheap mangoes?

Well, I went out shopping today.  We went to the post office (to pick up a package from my sister), the library (to drop off a few items that were due), my parents' house (to get cash for groceries), lunch, the bank, the dollar store (daughter #4 had tooth fairy money to spend), Wal-Mart (daughter #1 had birthday money to spend) and Radio Shack, and Kroger's.  There must be somewhere we didn't go--I can't think of it now, my brains are fried.  It sounds like a lot of shopping, but I was very careful and I still have money left. :)  When you mostly buy staples, you can fill a cart pretty cheaply.  While we were at Wal-Mart, I checked the day-old bread, and the cheese and meat in case they were on sale.  I know what's cheapest to buy at which store.

I'm going to start watching for the price of meat to go down because of the drought.  Although it rained here again today (Yippee!).  In fact, it poured.  And it was windy while we were gone, but most of the trees are still intact--I think we've shaken out all the weaklings and dead branches now.  When the meat goes on sale, I think I'll buy as much as I can and stick it in the deep freeze for when the prices go up because of the drought.  You see, first people are supposed to start liquidating stock as fast as they can, and then there is supposed to be a shortage later on.  If there isn't, we'll still use the meat anyway.

I chatted with the cashier and stock person (both women) at one store, and we started talking about how bad the economy is.  My husband is a college grad with a part-time job.  There's a lot of that going around.  And then the cashier made an innocuous little comment about me staying home with the kids.  I decided not to get into hypogammaglobulinemia, let alone all the other challenges I face (I lost my gas station today, but I found it on the second attempt, and my father was surprised when we were discussing which restaurant to go to on my second daughter's birthday in a couple of weeks and I had no idea how to get to this place we've been to several times, and last night I couldn't identify the movie playing on TV because my family had the commentary on and I couldn't hear anything--you didn't think I could identify the movie when I can't recognize any of the scenery or faces, did you?).  Afterwards, though, I wondered if I should have at least mentioned the disease and how sick I get.  I think I just don't have the energy right now.

And....the Medicaid people are refusing to communicate with me.  I finally looked up the address of the local FSSA (Family & Social Services Administration) and made copies of everything that's been asked for and stuck it in the mailbox.  With a big ATTN: heading that included which form was in there and what it was for.  I doubt they'll get it in time.  When they cancel us I'll call that reporter.

I have really had it with these people.  In case you haven't been following this.

And then Verizon was going to shut off our phone and internet service (they like to be paid every month or so, imagine that!), so I had to ask my mother to pay our phone bill.  And she called them.  Five times.  To wade through the bureaucracy.  My mother is priceless.

I finally found the phone number to pay the bill on our printable bill online.  Our twenty-one page printable bill.  Seriously?  Who needs twenty-one pages for one bill?

On a cheerier note--you gotta love this:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8503447/us-woman-80-fights-off-robbers-with-mangoes

That mother bear instinct never does fade, does it?  A woman's store is being robbed, and out comes her 80-year-old mother to chase the robbers off by pelting them with mangoes.

I think I'll fantasize about walking into the FSSA office with a bowl of mangoes.

And now I have things to do--non-perishable groceries and dishes from supper are everywhere.  At least I don't have to water my plants.

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment