Tuesday, July 3, 2012

"There's a Bomb in That Crate!"

It's official.  Our local Fourth of July celebration has been cancelled.  It's just too dry, and our nearby small town is a long way from back to normal after the storm.  They're saying that some people in our county might be in the dark through this weekend.  And the weather forecast says 97 today, 98 tomorrow, and 101 Thursday.  Who wants to walk around outside in heat like that, anyway.

It's too hot to exercise, but the yard work is more punishing than my exercise program anyway.

We're going to be declared a federal disaster area.  Not just the interior of my house--I mean the whole county. ;)  They're saying now that what we experienced was indeed very much like an inland hurricane.  You heard it here first.

Yesterday morning one of our dogs trapped himself in the open center of a huge pile of brush and a downed tree.  My husband had to go in, lift the dog onto a tree trunk, and climb out while I held the dog until he could get there.  He'd just kept barking until I'd gone after him, one short bark at a time, which is apparently dogspeak for, 'It's not Timmy that's in trouble, it's me'.

I've predicted that people are going to be stupid and burn their brush during this drought and start fires.  So far I haven't heard anything yet.  Usually I don't go very far wrong predicting that people will be stupid.  I wonder how many fires will be started by fireworks this week.  Hopefully I'm mistaken.  Last week three house burned because of fireworks--the fire spread from one house to the next.  Hopefully people learned their lesson from that.

We were lucky--our house and all our buildings are fine after the hurricane.  Many people still don't have air conditioning and refrigeration.  Sunday I put a bunch of things in the deep freeze, because that would last the longest if the lights went back out.  Most of our trees and limbs fell where they would do the least damage.  The big wooden swing set my father bought a couple of years ago and helped build was narrowly missed by a huge limb.  Unfortunately, the swing set is in the sun now. :(  C'est la vie.

Next time I'm home alone I might try to record my second mazurka.  I'll post the sheet music when I do.  I've almost memorized it.  I might put the finishing touches on my waltz and post the sheet music for that as well.  Have to start memorizing that soon.  Memorizing is difficult for me--I'm still wondering if it's this difficult for everybody or if it's worse for me.

My sister is trying to help me appeal the Social Security decision.  I've been looking online--I was told by the SSA that I have to get my records in person, but several sources online say otherwise, so I've emailed them again.  It wouldn't be their first mistake, after all.

James Bond is 50 years old. This is great--James Bond movies on somewhere 24/7.  If there was a decent Sci-Fi channel, life would be almost perfect. lol

And here's today's Picture of the Day, which has the honor of being my new desktop pic:







I just like it because it reminds me that there's water somewhere. :)


Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment