Wednesday, July 18, 2012

If You Need Me, I'll Just Be Under the Table

This is what it's often like around here.  I get up a bit early so I can get a jump on everything.  I'm dressed, hair's fixed, a few chores are done, and I've had breakfast.  Child number one has been doing school for a while, children two and three are sitting at opposite ends of the dining room table (so they can't reach each other lol), and child number four is getting ready to start soon.  I am printing worksheets.  Today it's English and spelling.  I have out the binders and paper and a three-hole punch.  And I've started the paperwork online for my Social Security appeal.  Probably shoulda waited on that.  So I'm grading, and answering questions, and printing, and collating, and filling out forms online, oh, and overseeing one of the girls doing their morning chores and trying to keep most of the stuff picked up everywhere.  I want to get all this done because later I have to drive two of the girls to their friends' house, and at ten I usually call my mother.

So don't say I never do anything around here.  Just about the time the paper jams in the printer and three people need something graded all at the same time, the phone starts beeping at me and I have to get online and open up our bank statement, and then the mail comes and there's something else to fill out.  Now the dining room table looks like a file cabinet threw up on it.  So, if you would, please hand a tissue under the table, and ignore the whimpering.  My breakdown will be over in a few minutes, and then I'll be back to work.

And we had even more fun this afternoon.  It got darker and darker, and then all the dead leaves on the trees started flying everywhere, and then black clouds were making several swirly circle above the house.  It looked just like Van Gogh's  Starry Night, except Starry Night doesn't usually inspire frantic prayer on my part.  Well, we're all fine here--somehow we just lost one tree limb.  It took me a while to figure out where it came from--it didn't just land under the tree.  Maybe it was the prayer.  It was as if God was saying with the tree limb, 'See, this is what I could have done.'

Then we came back home from dropping off the girls. (Picture me getting out of the car, looking around the yard, looking up at the sky, and saying in a loud voice, "I just cleaned this".)  By this time I was ready for a break.  But our lights were out.  And the phone wasn't working.  The internet wasn't working well, either, but I managed to contact the power company.  And pretty soon the lights were back on.  And now here I am happily parked in front of my computer where I belong.

We had a LOT of rain, too, which was nice for a change, although it won't fix the drought.  My youngest asked why rain was coming from the sky instead of a hose. lol

I have all the evening chores done now.  The table is all cleared off.  I think I'll go play a little piano--it'll be bedtime soon.  Sometimes all I can do is get in a few minutes here and there.  Tomorrow we'll have another busy day--going to pick up the girls and then go to a carnival with my parents.  Wish me luck again--I have no idea where the carnival is.  But I did find the girls' friends' house. :)  First try.  You know, it only takes a half-hour to get there if you don't get lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment