Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sure Has Been Quiet Around Here

Well, I haven't been lost since Wednesday. :)  Maybe this coming week--we're supposed to go to a carnival.  In a park.  I have no idea where the park is.  No, really, I don't.

We've had a bit of rain here.  But it's too late for the corn.  It's almost too late for the soybeans, including those right around my island.  Tomorrow it's back to the really hot weather.  High nineties by Tuesday.  It's too hot for the kids to want to play outside.

So we're starting school tomorrow!  We've got all the books and everything.  We can always take days off when the weather's more hospitable.  We have to get in 180 days, from July 1 to June 30, every year, in this state.  We do a lot of Saturdays, and smaller holidays.  Then we can afford to take days off when there's a carnival to go to, or when my sister comes to town, or when the kids get sick.  And when I get sick.

One girl will be in tenth grade this year, one in eighth, and two in sixth.  The older two are old enough to pretty much teach themselves in a crisis.  The younger two should be old enough one of these days soon.  All they need is occasional help and some grading, and of course me providing the organization--choosing the classes (with their help), purchasing curricula and supplies, and just making sure we all get up and get moving in the morning.

I was pleased to see that I can now walk several blocks in the heat.  I'd been having a lot of trouble with a strange lack of stamina since I was so sick this winter.  I've always been the last person to get tired if I'm walking with any group, so this was especially worrisome.  Maybe I'm just getting too old to get that sick and bounce right back.  It's just been the last few weeks that I can walk a few blocks.  I can take a trash dumpster down to the road now.

We've just had a major solar flare this weekend.  Nothing to worry about, but we've just had a day-and-a-half of dead silence outside.  The birds have just started singing again this morning.  This has happened before, but not for so long.

Nothing else happening here.

No comments:

Post a Comment