Thursday, July 26, 2012

C-R-A-A-A-C-K-!-!-!-!-!-!-!

I'm still here.  Waiting to hear from Medicaid, waiting to hear from Social Security about that CD I'm supposed to have gotten.  I've done a bit of checking into immunologists, and it looks like I'm going to have to get somebody to drive me a couple of hundred miles at least if I want to see one as part of my appeals process.

On a brighter note (no pun intended), I could have been killed Tuesday.  We think we had a bolt of lightning hit the electric pole in front of our house.  In forty-six years of living, I have never seen white light (with a touch of blue) light up the entire interior of a house like that.   Simultaneously, there was a sound like the end of the world, and a huge POP.  And a second burst of white light, almost as bright as the first.  That POP was all of our lights getting knocked out.  What is it with us and electricity this year, anyway?  With some fiddling with the breaker box outside (after the lightning subsided) I got most of the lights on, but two outlets were not working, and we have no hot water.  My husband doesn't come home until tomorrow night. 

I don't know what possessed me at the grocery store Monday--I bought three boxed family frozen dinners, which I don't normally do.  They just looked good?  We usually have foam plates and plastic cups and utensils on hand, wanna-be survivalist that I am.  So we're okay.  We just can't do dishes or laundry.  Or shower. :(

Fortunately when the storm started I unplugged all of our technology.  I love my tech.

I had some work coaxing one of the dogs outside an hour later--I had to go outside and show her that it was safe, and talk her into following me a little bit at a time.

On a much brighter note, my sister is coming in a couple of weeks. :)  So today my four girls and I went over and helped clean Mom & Dad's house.  I cleared spiderwebs (there weren't many) all over, swept outside, and scrubbed--bathroom sinks, toilets, kitchen sink.  The girls dusted every single thing, and cleaned mirrors.  Mom & Dad bought us lunch and paid the girls.

And we reminisced about the time my second daughter was around three years old, and we were watching a television show at home about a mother having a baby.  She wanted to know what had happened to the other one.

You see, she had (still has, she's just older....) a six-year-old sister, who I think she may have thought was her twin.  We had the real twins.  I have one sister.  My mother has one sister.  My husband has--two sisters.  His mother was a twin.  I guess it was a logical assumption.

We had a tiny bit of excitement on the way out this morning--we saw a woman walking on our (very isolated) road, with a black pick-up with tinted windows slowly following her.  I don't know what possessed me, but I sped up the lane with my phone in one hand and pulled up beside them--and by then it was obvious they were just looking at the corn crop--they knew each other.  So I didn't have to ram the pick-up with my car or anything. lol  I was almost a hero.  Something must have activated my 'mother bear' gene.

And I didn't notice if there were tears on their faces--honestly, the corn crops around here are mostly toast.  I'll be really impressed with genetic engineering if the rain saved half that corn.  But they may have lucked out--the beans are looking better every day, and they may sell for a high price because of the drought.
Oh, and I found another blog I like: http://theaspiewizard.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/the-confusion-of-aspergers/ . It's written by an autistic woman. Tonight I enjoyed reading an earlier blog entry about her cat, Dammit Fletcher.  I might blog about another one of her posts one of these days.

Not much else happening.  We've had a lot of rain, and I mowed the lawn last night for the first time in ages, and the mower cooperated by running continuously.  Tonight I got out the weed whacker.  It's nice not to have to water all the plants all the time.  I can only hope this continues.  I know that the drought hasn't abated at all in most of the rest of the half of the country that's been affected.

I've got the framework down for the second movement of my sonata.  I'm pretty happy with it.

I've been looking into taking an online class on Kabbalah.  Right now the cost is prohibitive.  But I found out tonight that there may be a scholarship available.  I'm just finishing my third book from the box I got for postage several weeks ago.  'God Wears Lipstick' by Karen Berg.  Before that it was 'The Monster is Real' by Yehuda Berg.  I've been taking notes, too.  I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to read the Zohar.  There's an English version, but it's quite a commitment--twenty-three volumes in all.

More volumes than Harry Potter. :)  But I'm a firm believer in the idea that you don't really understand a religion until you've read the literature upon which it was founded.  I've been stunned over the years at how the tenets of Christianity have been misrepresented in all sorts of creative ways.

And now that I'm getting all philisophical, it must be almost bedtime.  I'm not convinced of the wisdom of blogging right before bedtime--my brain generally tries to go to sleep an hour or so before my body.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment