Friday, July 20, 2012

Welcome to My Third World Island

Today's Picture of the Week (definitely not a Third World Island):





Another Bing picture--it's Gdansk, Poland.



Today, as part of my ongoing Social Security disability appeal, I received a several-page form from a lawyer I am scheduled to see next month.  I've started a binder into which I am putting all of the paperwork I have.

I copied everything before I sent it to SS, which is good, because, while I am supposed to be able to get a CD with my disability folder information on it, I haven't gotten it yet.  I've started trying to find out why it hasn't arrived.  I can't help but note that I only have 10 days from the date something is mailed to respond to any request of theirs.  In my last communication today I informed them that I have an appointment with a lawyer and that the lawyer would like this information.

I have to send them a medical release form.  They will not accept the medical release form without a cover sheet.  Fortunately I was able to print that out also.  The cover sheet is to tell them that they are getting a medical release form.  Seriously.



While this is going on, I've started fighting with Medicaid.  Yesterday I emailed and emailed, explaining that we have spotty phone service in our rural area.  A nice woman whose emails state at the bottom that she is bilingual tried to help me by email.  I'm not at all sure that English is one of the two languages with which she is fluent.  It doesn't matter anyway--once they got my identification information, they stopped all contact.  Really.  I sent them a cranky email today.  Something I just about never do.  No response.  Wow.

I can't find out whether or not my children have been cancelled.  This could be important if someone gets hurt or sick--we could find ourselves with thousands of dollars worth of medical bills that we can't pay.



Meanwhile, I've also been chatting with another CVID patient who was helping me look for resources.  It looks like I've already looked everywhere.  I just don't qualify for help from anybody.  There is always a reason.  It's in another city (or state).  I haven't proven that I'm disabled.  It costs money.  I've applied to programs and just been completely ignored.  I've recently reapplied.  Patient Assistance, ACCESS, etc.

This woman made a comment about United States citizens dying because they can't get antibiotics.

I didn't realize that my island is in a third world country.  If it weren't for my family, we'd be hungry, and quite possibly homeless by now.  And there would be no lawyer.  I would have given up completely by now.  I would quite likely never have applied to Social Security again.



On the brighter side, we got three torrential downpours in two days.  They're saying the drought isn't over, but this has certainly been a step in the right direction.  Maybe the soybeans surrounding us will survive.  The farmer who rents our land would be happy to see that.  His corn may be toast now, but a lot of soybeans might not make it either, and the ones that do will sell for a good price.  And any corn that does have ears--the rain will help make them good ears.  I don't think the corn near us has many ears, though.  I've seen only a very few fields that look at all healthy.

Nothing else happening here.  I've been playing something different--music from the 30's, 40's, through the 70's, Broadway stuff, etc.--it's good once in a while.  I've started improvising just a bit.

I remember when I was in high school, taking beginning piano lessons.  I had a second teacher, after the first (a very nice lady) said she couldn't teach me anymore after a very short time.  I remember saying something to teacher number two about how I didn't like the way a certain piece of music sounded, and that it would sound better in such a way.  I don't remember which piece it was.  But I learned something that day--that you don't change the music.  Teaching myself has taught me something else--you don't always listen to teachers. 

Now I wonder--I was just starting out--this wasn't a piece of classically great music--at most it was a simplified version of something.  Maybe I was right--maybe I could have improved it.  Maybe that way of thinking should have been encouraged, while it was being explained to me that we generally adhere precisely to classical music.

Those lessons were very haphazard.  Oh well, I like teaching myself anyway.  There are a lot of modern composers whose music I can't stand, and I can just ignore them.  If something interests me I can obsess about it to no end.  If I for some reason don't get something, I can just keep trying at my own pace without having to worry about it.  If I've already got it, I can move on.  And I can play any piece I want, even if it's too hard--those are always my favorites.



Time to go finish my binder now.  Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment