Friday, May 4, 2012

It's Snowing!

The weather has been beautiful these last few days.  I've never described my 'island' on this blog.  There is a tiny forest just a few feet from the north side of my house.  When I came here twenty years ago, I started the forest from a few maple and pine trees and one locust tree.  Well, locust trees are the dandelion of the tree world--twenty years later there are locust trees everywhere.  They are blooming now, large and small trees thick with bunches of little white flowers hanging like grapes.  They smell a little like honey.

The night before last I mowed the lawn and trimmed everything.  Even though we don't have any landscaping here, I still think it's very pretty.  I keep a path mowed through the woods, with a little stone angel at the entrance.  There's a little white fence along the woods in the front yard, and a bird bath, and bird feeders.  And now the white flower petals are falling.  I can look out the window at the forest, and every time a breeze blows there are petals falling everywhere. If you've ever seen the valley of Rivendell in the Lord of the Rings, it would remind you of that.  And there are birds and butterflies all over.

My husband's at guard for the next two days, so it's vacation time--no school, not a whole lot of housework, nice weather, and a Star Trek:  The Next Generation marathon today.  The twins are pretending we're in Hawaii this weekend, so last night I got out a ham.  When our tax refund came in, we bought a whole hog from the butcher, so we have several hams.  What's a luau without a roast pig?

Last night I took a nice long walk through the woods and along the beach and watched the sun set.

And I've got another book to read, after the one about Mormonism.  This one is about Kabbalah--a form of Jewish mysticism.

And now I've got to go call my mother before she starts wondering what happened to me.

2 comments: