Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Mower Saga: Part Two (and another prosopagnosia article) (and the first 'desktop pic' award)

The mower deck came back from the shop today.  And to everyone's delight here, it's about to rain buckets, so I thought I'd mow this afternoon once my husband put the deck back on our riding mower.  He had a couple of errands and a job interview to go to.

I mowed, wisely beginning with the lane and front yard in case the mower broke down again.  And after a while it did.  There is a little metal pole that connects the deck to the front of the mower, and it's bent and probably missing a piece on the end that would stop it from slipping out of the little hole on the front of the deck.  And I put it back.  All by myself.  But still it wouldn't mow.  So I looked into it further, and a belt had come loose.  And I put it back on.  All by myself.  I was extremely pleased with myself when the blades started turning.  It's not every day I can fix anything.  Not with my crappy visual skills.  I just learned that the thing on the mower is called a 'deck' when my husband took it off last week.

But then the darn thing broke again.  This time I couldn't fix it.  But a least I'd been able to finish the lane and front yard.  The grass hasn't been able to grow much lately, because of the nearly total absence of rain.

It looks creepy outside right now.



On a totally unrelated note, I read what I thought was an especially good article on prosopagnosia today.  Here it is:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mary-k-moore/face-blindness_b_1543482.html

And here's an excerpt:

"And it's not like forgetting a name, where you can apologize and ask again. In some cases, I can't recall people I've known for months or years. Basically, if someone is out of place or I don't see them on a usual basis, I am often stumped. There's simply no way of explaining myself. Except perhaps claiming to have been clobbered over the head and mugged moments before and feigning temporary amnesia. At least that scenario would make sense to most."



And on another unrelated note--it seems that is is in fact legal to keep someone from getting food stamps if they don't 'cooperate' with a work  program.  So no food stamps here.

And I got my 'school records'--nothing but a transcript that looks like alphabet soup and the IQ score from some testing that was done.  Not very helpful.



Oh, and I've decided to start awarding a 'desktop pic of the week' every other day or twice a month or so.  This is what's currently on my desktop.  And here's the very first one:





Ain't she a beauty?  It's from AccuWeather.com Astronomy at https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/AccuWeathercom-Astronomy/178186248887910



And that's it for today.  Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment