Friday, December 23, 2011

Barometer's Up, I'm Down

Darn it, I took a turn for the worse last night after finishing up everything yesterday--went to my mother's house (and I was good about taking it easy while I was there), stopped at the grocery store for a few things (and the girls were really good about helping me load up the cart and put everything away).  I even felt so good that I walked the dog to the end of the lane last night in the nice weather we were having.

This morning I am really sick.  As in, first thing in the morning I have to get to the bathroom before the coughing starts.  I saw it coming last night and put my computer and drinks and pills and tissues at the table because I just knew I wasn't going to be able to get all that stuff together in the morning.  My number one goal this morning is to just sit long enough to keep the coughing under control so I can keep all my pills down.  No getting dressed, no housework at all.  I'm cold and I can't go get a sweater.  Can't put the milk back in the fridge.  Once I start being unable to keep the pills down, I am on my way to the hospital.  Not where I want to spend Christmas.  I've managed to stay out of hospitals for the most part these last few years, but this is definitely one of the close calls.

The exhaustion from not getting enough sleep all week (and just plain not getting enough oxygen) are starting to get to me.

It was a good day yesterday.  I was tired and had to rest a lot, but being at Mom's house was like a small Christmas celebration.  They always spring for lunch (I took a kid and picked up sandwiches nearby), and there are decorations and she was playing Christmas music.  The kids and I cleaned up--I really didn't do much.  Got to chat with one of the old neighbors outside.  I played one song on Mom & Dad's piano, but that was tiring.  Haven't played all week at home.

The streets and grocery stores were really crowded.  Reminds me of why I like living on an island. :)  Got lots of milk for eggnog.  My kids have already given me one of the best presents I could get--doing chores last night and not arguing too much.  Without their help right now I'm sure the house would look as if it had been hit by a tsunami.  They're planning to make sugar cookies today (definitely time for me to start their Christmas homeschool vacation today).  They know how to make the fudge and eggnog, too.  We've even got a ham for Christmas Eve.  Glad I'm not entertaining extended family here this year.

It's been a little over a half-hour since the pills.  Hopefully another half-hour before anybody gets up--talking to anybody makes me cough.  Had to wait until after husband left to take the pills.  I could hardly even answer him when he talked to me.

And now the kids are getting up and all I can do is shake me head at them and cough.  Gotta stop typing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment