Monday, January 16, 2012

It's the End of the World as We Know It :) :)

I've decided to post a list of the fifty or so things I try to keep on hand all the time, in reasonably large quantities, in case I get sick.  Sometimes it can be a month before I'm able to shop, and my survivalist stash means there's one less thing to worry about, especially this time of the year, when a snowstorm could be an added complication.  This is my own personal list--your mileage may vary.  I buy things when they're on sale, I buy generic, I use coupons--and unfortunately, living below the poverty line means the most important quality of the food is price, not quality or nutrition, although I do try.  I buy things that we will actually eat sooner or later, and I rotate the old stuff to the front of the line.
I really think everyone ought to have a bit of a stash if possible.  You just never know what's coming.  And the most likely disaster, statistically, is something personal--unemployment or illness, for example.  Hope this helps somebody.

onions
potatoes
rice (brown)
spaghetti
spaghetti sauce
tuna (in water)
meat (frozen)
chicken
hamburger
cranberry juice (home remedy for uti's)
hot chocolate mix (great for the sick lungs)
flour
evaporated milk (for cooking when the milk is gone)
baking powder
baking soda
brown/white sugar
yeast
salt
shortening/vegetable oil
vanilla
cinnamon
peanut butter
chili beans & fixings
soap
toothpaste
deodorant
sanitary napkins
shampoo
trash bags
batteries
toilet paper
paper towels
eggs (lots, for baking also)
skim milk
cheese
wheat bread (frozen)
butter
diet caffeinated soda (so no one gets hurt)
matches
laundry soap
dish soap
antibiotics
prednisone
bird food
candles
cat food
cat litter
dog food
bottled water (when the lights go out, so does our well)

There's no produce--this is the long-term stuff that I'm hoping to still have after the produce is gone.



I've had one really, really scary asthma attack today.  At least I got some sleep last night.  I've still got dishes to do, but everything else is under control, except my lungs.  So I'm off now to do dishes.  Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment